5 DAY SPACE & STEM STUDENT PROGRAM
AN OPPORTUNITY FOR ORDINARY KIDS TO DO SOMETHING EXTRAORDINARY
- Learn from a NASA astronaut, NASA leaders and expert scientists to launch your ideas into space!
- In teams, take on the role of research scientists and design a space science experiment
- The overall winning team’s experiment, as judged by the NASA panel, will be launched to the International Space Station and conducted by astronauts on board!
- This is a full immersion in Space and STEM – with plenty of hands-on activities
- Develop leadership, teamwork and public speaking skills
- Hear a range of exciting Space and Science career paths
THE MELBOURNE PROGRAM’S WINNING EXPERIMENT WILL BE
CONDUCTED ON THE INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION
The Melbourne Team
5 DAY MISSION DISCOVERY ITINERARY
DAY 1 Monday 24 September 9.30am – 4.30pm
- NASA team building – NASA presentation
- Mission Patch Team Challenge
- The Journey to Mars – NASA presentation
- Mars Lander Team Challenge
- The Best Science Experiment – NASA presentation
DAY 2 Tuesday 25 September 9.30am – 4.30pm
- Becoming an Astronaut and The Story of a Space Mission – NASA presentation
- Headline Story Team Challenge
- How to design a space experiment – NASA presentation
- Presentation from a guest university professor or lecturer
DAY 3 Wednesday 26 September 9.30am – 4.30pm
- Budgeting and Planning Skills – NASA presentation
- The International Space Station Environment, Experiments and An Expedition
- Work on Experiments
- Space Experiments – NASA presentation
DAY 4 Thursday 27 September 9.30am – 4.30pm
- Improve Your Presentation Skills – NASA presentation
- Working on experiments and presentation
- The Earth From Space – NASA presentation
DAY 5 Friday 28 September 9.30am – 4.30pm
- Presentation preparation
- First round presentations
- Finalists selected
- Final presentations
- Winners announced
* Itinerary subject to change
WORK WITH A NASA ASTRONAUT, NASA LEADERS AND SPACE SCIENTISTS
In teams of six, take on the role of research scientists and design a space experiment
- Senior university Science and Engineering students will mentor the teams in the design of their space experiments and during team challenges
- The overall winning team, as judged by the NASA Panel, has their experiment built and carried out on the International Space Station by the astronauts
- The program is open to current years 7 – 10 secondary school students. Programs can equally be developed for primary and senior students.
RATES FOR 5 DAY STEM TRAINING PROGRAM, INCLUDING LUNCH
MELBOURNE MISSION DETAILS
Dates: The program will run from 24th-28th September 2018. (Please note that although 28th September is a public holiday, the program will still run that day)
Times: 9:30am to 4.30pm daily (registration at 9am on the Monday. Arrival by 9.15 other days)
Location: The University of Melbourne, Sidney Myer Asia Centre, Carrillo Gantner Theatre (Room B02), 325/761 Swanston St, Parkville VIC
Program subsidies are available for eligible schools and students.
Terms & conditions apply.
Any questions? Call us on 03 9646 4200 or email [email protected]
MEET YOUR HOST
WELCOME TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE
It starts with curiosity. Do you want to discover the mysteries of the Universe? So do we! We were part of the team that confirmed the existence of gravitational waves, and we helped create the instruments that identified the elusive Higgs Boson.
The future is full of surprises. Join us in our discovery. The University of Melbourne’s beautiful and historic Parkville campus is located in a vibrant community on the edge of Melbourne’s central business district. Our Bachelor of Science allows you to explore your interest in STEM. You can specialise in one of 40 areas, including physics, mathematics and statistics, engineering and climatology.
Have a look around while you’re here. Hopefully you’ll like the place as much as we do.
MISSION DISCOVERY MELBOURNE
24-28 SEPTEMBER 2018
THE UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE
If you wish to make a group booking for your students, allowing parents to benefit from group price reductions, please download the school group booking form and return documents to [email protected]
The button below will download a .zip file to your computer containing the School Booking Forms, Parent Permission/Medical Forms, the full Melbourne program and other resources